COVID 19 has put the entire world into a pause. The disease’s infectious nature and the extent of spread have compelled every country to implement severe restrictions to stop the spread. What is a coronavirus, and how deadly it is? How can you protect yourselves from the virus? Read everything you need to know about COVID 19 in the following sections.
COVID 19 was initially identified as an unknown case of pneumonia in China’s Wuhan province in December 2019. In January 2020, it was declared as a public health emergency of international concern by the world health organization. The WHO and every country have been ever since trying to contain the infectious disease by implementing curbs in their areas and boosting research. The countries have ramped up the testing and research programs, closed down every public system like travels, schools, offices, and even postponed major sports events like Olympics to stop the spread of this contagious virus. The following sections will help you to understand the coronavirus and how could you protect yourselves from COVID 19.
Read More About : Things To Know About Antibiotics And Viral Infections
Coronavirus is the family of viruses that causes different types of infections ranging from the common cold to significantly deadly diseases like Severe acute respiratory syndrome (SARS) and Middle East respiratory syndrome (MERS). COVID 19 is the new disease discovered caused by a coronavirus. The disease is believed to have originated from China’s Wuhan province, though it is still unclear how humans were infected with SARS-CoV-2.
SARS-CoV, the virus that caused the deadly SARS outbreak in 2003, was identified to have spread from animals to humans. Though it is believed that SARS-CoV-2 is also spread similarly, the studies have not still established the real cause. Researches across the countries have ramped up to find out the source as the information is critical to stop further outbreaks.
The symptoms of COVID 19 may not show immediately as the “incubation period” for the disease falls between 1 to 14 days. The incubation period is the time taken to show the symptoms after the contraction of the virus. The studies are still going on to confirm the incubation estimates.
The symptoms of Covid19 are mild initially and grow gradually. About 80% of the COVID-19 patients recover from the illness without requiring any specialized treatment. But the remaining 20% are severely affected and can have aggravated symptoms. Patients, especially older people and others who have chronic medical problems like diabetes, high blood pressure, or severe heart problems, are likely to develop serious complications. Following are the most common symptoms of COVID-19:
The main reason for the spread of COVID-19 is in contact with people who have the virus. The infected person is likely to spread the virus while coughing or exhaling. The uninfected person who is exposed to the droplets exhaled from the mouth and nose of a COVID-19 patient is very likely to contract the disease. The contact happens mostly when
Though the chances of the contracting virus from people who show no symptoms are low, it is always advisable to maintain safe distancing with everyone. The infected people have shown only mild symptoms initially like mild coughs and negligible tiredness. Studies are ongoing to find out the transmission period of COVID-19.
Though the studies until now suggest no confirmed findings of coronavirus spread through the air, it is advisable to maintain a safe distance while socializing to avoid coming in contact with respiratory droplets.
Likewise, the spread of COVID-19 from the faeces of patients is also found to be less. Studies until now show that the faeces are not the cause for the outbreak. However, to minimize the risks, it is recommended to wash hands well before having food and after using bathrooms.
Following are some simple precautions to be taken to minimize the chances of being infected:
WHO recommends using disposable masks only by the infected persons and the ones who are looking after the patients, as there is a shortage of facemasks worldwide. If you are using a mask, ensure that you follow proper instructions and dispose of that in a closed bin after use. Some authorities are also recommending the use of homemade cotton masks for daily use.
Until now, there is no known medicine or vaccine to treat Covid19, though some countries follow traditional or home remedies to reduce the symptoms. Several clinical trials are going on to find out the ideal treatment practice and vaccines for Covid19. Antibiotics do not work on coronavirus and should not be used as a preventive measure according to WHO.
Following is a compiled list of possible solutions for some COVID 19 related queries